We went to the allergist today. We took the pumpkin from the above photo. I cut it open and the dr (Dr. Lieu) took some of the guts and rubbed the pricky thing in the guts and then did the skin prick with the stick. He also took another pricky thing and stuck it in a seed, and then pricked her skin with that one. Then he pricked her once with the histamine (which is supposed to show a reaction) and another one that is not supposed to react. He said he would check in 15 min, but he's pretty sure she will be fine and that the reaction he saw a few weeks ago was just viral. I told him if it comes up negative, I will be very surprised. I just knew. Within about 3 min she was crying because it was so itchy. He came back into the room because he could hear her and he was completely shocked! The prick from the guts was a hive. The histamine which was supposed to react was still normal. He measured the prick from the pumpkin guts and it was 7.6mm He said she def has an allergy to pumpkin, but the prick from the seed was still normal. He wiped her arm down and kept saying he was sure it was going to be negative. He has never heard of a pumpkin allergy, and has never seen one. He said he will be doing some research now. We will be going back in Feb to test for the other fruits and vegetables that are usually associated with the pumpkin allergy (cucumber, watermelon, cantalope, kiwi and pineapple). In the meantime he said if she does eat any of them, just keep a close eye on her. But I think we will just avoid them for now. She has to carry an epi pen and stay away from pumpkin, which should be easy for the next 11 mos.
I am going to get in touch with the mother of the girl in her class who most likely also has the allergy, she just hasn't been tested yet. I would like to get the word out somehow. How many more kids (and most likely adults) have gone through what we have gone through? How many kids (and adults) are suffering and have NO clue why? For now, I have hugged my baby extra tight and told her how much I love her. Everything is right in her world. But it hurts to think about how much she (and the whole family) has been through. The pain, the rashes, and the not knowing. The feeling of watching your baby and being helpless to make them feel better, when it is something so stinking easy!
I will keep on pushing for answers. That my dear girl, is my promise to you!
I will keep on pushing for answers. That my dear girl, is my promise to you!
I love you Devynn ♥ ! With all of my heart ♥

No comments:
Post a Comment