Thursday, November 4, 2010

Spoke to another mom!

I found out through Devynn's teacher, that another child in her class also has a pumpkin allergy. I asked her to give the mom my phone number and let her know I would really like to talk to her. I saw this little girl today and she had the rash under her chin. The same rash, the *mystery rash* that my baby has had repeatedly... as long as I can remember. We will call this little girl, *K*.
K's mom called me tonight just after I had put Devynn to bed. She told me their story, and she was telling me our story. It was the weirdest feeling, to hear our story... but it wasn't our story. They realized last year that it was the pumpkin that was causing their daughter to break out in a rash every single Hallowe'en. She had carved her pumpkin and broke out in the worst rash yet, blisters. This year they eliminated eating any pumpkin (pie, seeds) and K used long rubber gloves to carve her pumpkin. But she still broke out in the rash, although not as bad as last year.
It felt good to talk to someone who has gone through what we are going through. Hopefully we can help each other and learn from each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment